Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Back To School Too!



While Ali was visiting Pelgulinna Gymnasium in Tallinn, I was with our Political/Economic Chief Mary Glantz at Tallinna Linnamäe Vene Lütseum!

Tallinna Linnamäe Vene Lütseum is the largest Russian school in Estonia and one of the top schools in the country. The school is celebrating their annual "Language Week," so Mary and I went out to serve as guinea pigs, I mean native English speakers, for the school's English Conversation Club.

Since there was no predetermined topic, we just let the conversation flow where it wanted. So we talked about American movies, Ellen DeGeneres' selfie at the Oscars, how we liked Estonian food.

And of course, study in the United States.

I was really impressed with this group of students...one of the more enthusiastic questioners made a comment about her English being bad...but boy does she speak it better than I speak Estonian! (And of course, far better than my, oh, five words of Russian!)

We spent an hour with the students, after which we made pictures, including an Ellen-like selfie which the student promised to send me. I will share it when he does!

Post by PAO J. Michelle Schohn
Photo by Social Media Assistant, U.S. Embassy Tallinn

No comments:

Post a Comment