Thursday, February 13, 2014

Study In the U.S.!

It’s college application season! 

So Tuesday, I spoke to three levels of high school students in Kuusalu about opportunities for international students to study at U.S. universites. 

In a packed auditorium, students from sophomore to senior levels learned about how to find funding for school, picking the right school, the American college atmosphere and what they need to apply.  I also briefly discussed the Fulbright program, Estonia’s American corners, and the benefits of studying at U.S. universities. 

As a proud University of Utah Ute, I included my school’s promotion video.

 

With another brief presentation, I introduced the students and their teachers to the State Department’s Trace Effects English-language computer game. After that came questions from the audience. Since Estonian students are notoriously shy about speaking up, I was given a written list of questions to answer. Most wanted to know how I had made my way to Estonia or what I thought about Estonia (which is an awesome country by the way). After the presentations, my colleagues and I had a lovely discussion about education with the school administrator over tea and coffee.

Personally, going to local schools and giving these presentations, particularly about American colleges, to Estonian students is one of my favorite parts of my internship. As a current college student, that is a great fit for me because it is fresh in my memory. I’ll be doing a few more of these events soon and am looking forward to it!

Post by PAS Intern Kirsten Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment