Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Roadtrip to Rapla

I sit at my desk working on something not so very interesting when I suddenly glance at my watch: It’s 11:54 on November 7. While this may hold no specific meaning to your ears (eyes?), it means that I must be in front of the embassy in six minutes for an outing with Ambassador Levine, APAO Alison Davis, and Cultural Assistant Tiiu Vitsut - the phenomenal photographer!

I stood up and tended to my caffeine addiction with an energy drink shot before saying adios to my boss, the Regional Security Officer. I had been full of eager anticipation for what promised to be an eventful afternoon. After all, it is not every day that I get to leave the embassy—let alone Tallinn! The ride to Rapla was certainly fascinating. I was able to question the Ambassador about his most recent expedition to Afghanistan, and he mentioned a jovial and optimistic sort of camaraderie among the soldiers at Camp Bastion/Camp Leatherneck, which was accompanied by a resonating seriousness. 

The tour started with a short briefing in the conference room.
When we arrived at the Akzo Nobel factory, which produces Sadolin brand paint, I was ready to get out of the car and finally meet some Estonians from outside of the capital city. Once inside, we had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Piret Minn, who guided us through the factory and into a conference room. Inside the room, an abundance of Estonian-style, delicious hors d'oeuvres beckoned. There was kiwi, several cheeses, some unusual meats that shocked my taste buds, and even a bowl of sensational cookies (my kryptonite). Ms. Minn gave us a delightful presentation about Akzo Nobel and their subordinate brands, including the Soviet and post-Soviet history of the company as well as their operations in places from Tallinn to Uzbekistan. After the presentation was concluded, we received a brief but rewarding tour of the facility, which included a tour of the primarily-mechanized assembly line! It was pretty cool to see the process by which paint cans are filled, sealed, and grouped for packaging.

Group photo at the factory!

Our next destination was the Rapla Vesiroosi Gymnasium, a primary and secondary school named for the water flowers found nearby. There, we met Ms. Edvig Saidla and some wonderfully pleasant English teachers, who took us immediately to what used to be a basketball court. Instead of shooting some hoops, we were greeted by a room full of chairs, sixty of them filled with 12th graders. It was refreshing to sit among 12th grade students and hear to their ideas about the Ambassador’s speech. The speech itself prompted them to think about where they wish to continue their education and how well connected they are to events outside of Rapla and Estonia, even. It turned out that much of the student body at Vesiroosi Gymnasium was well informed and globally minded. A couple of the 12th graders were interested in continuing their education in the US! After the speech was concluded, the students were allotted a few minutes to ask questions to the Ambassador in a more personal setting. One student approached me personally and asked questions about my university, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Finally, we were given a brief tour of the Gymnasium, I handed out US gift bags to our hosts, and we were on our way to the next stop.

The Ambassador tests the students' global mindedness.

We arrived at the the Rapla County Government building just in time for the Picturing America exhibit opening—around three dozen or so pictures, including “Washington Crossing the Delaware, 1851” and my personal favorite, the cover illustration for The Last of the Mohicans were on display. The Ambassador gave a speech in Estonian for the guests who had come to view the exhibit. After the speech, we made our way to Governor Leier’s office on the top floor, which contained more cookies (again, my kryptonite)! The Ambassador had a discussion with the mayor and then Mr. Janek Kadarik showed us a video about the county’s biggest companies.

Ambassador Levine opening the Picturing America exhibition

This final stop was my favorite, since it managed to pluck at my heartstrings. We visited the Saagu Valgus Foundation, a charity organization whose goal is to help children in need and low-income families. We met the Manager-in-Chief, Ms. Alma Linder, who was very kind to all of us. We were also given a chance to browse in the donations-only shop which is one of their main fundraisers. While there, the Ambassador and I agreed on the sharpness of a certain tie, which he then proceeded to buy for me! After we finished in the shop, we were given a tour and invited for some cake and tea. By this point, I had filled myself to the brim with cookies, so I was in no shape to enjoy some cake, as tasty as it looked. Finally, the Ambassador had an interview with a local reporter named Siim, who spoke excellent English.

Ambassador Levine sat down and interviewed with Siim, a local reporter.

All things considered, the Rapla trip was educational, fun, and a great way to spend an afternoon. I especially enjoyed the varied conversations I was able to have with the Ambassador and our APAO. It was really great to get out of the office, and a nice experience to visit a town outside of Tallinn that had so much going on. I look forward to the next time I get such an opportunity!

Blog post by RSO Intern Jordan Nottingham
Photos taken by Cultural Assistant Tiiu Vitsut

No comments:

Post a Comment